Monday, August 29, 2011

Last week with Central Press


Monday, office work. We finish the layout, I write the farewell story about our encounter with the chief. Kerstin is not here. Because she was not feeling well and it didn’t get better, she flew back to Austria one week earlier than planned. 
Tuesday, we get a new volunteer, Saul from the UK. Eric brings him to my house junction where we wait together for Kwamina to pick us up. Today, we are going to witness a launch of a festival at the palace of Elmina. It is his first day with the newspaper, so it is Saul’s turn to write the story. I am glad. Felix has the story about the lagoon, if not for Saul, it would be my job. I am not in the mood to write anymore. I am taking pictures only. First National, a bank, donates money to the regional chiefs and his people for the festival. They sit on one side of the courtyard, all dressed with the blue fabric with their emblem. On the other side is the chief and his entourage, dressed with the traditional cloth. They are all talking in Fanti, but we understand the main issue. As tradition prescribes, the bank has to present alcohol to the chief and they give him two bottles of wine. The chief is not satisfied. After a short discussion with the man on his left hand, he declares that he wants more. Now it is the other party’s turn to discuss. Sticking their heads together, they agree to give in. They present more bottles to the chief. Now he is satisfied. Now they are allowed to donate. It is indeed amusing. Speeches are given on both sides. Sometimes, they provoke laughter from the respective opposing party. The bank hands over more packages, wrapped in the blue color of their bank. I follow the other press people to take the pictures. Philip Mensah is also here. It is a long time ago that I saw him and he wants to know where I have been. ‘In and around Cape Coast.’ This is a good last event to end my time with Central Press. Interesting, although it is in Fanti.
Wednesday is another day at the office. For some reason, there still is work to do on the layout. We thought, it is finished. The pages were already filled. However, now stories are missing again. I also give Saul an introduction to the social networking. When Felix and I are gone, he will have to do everything until another volunteer comes. Well, this will definitely be the last day at the office for me and Felix.
Thursday, we have a radio program. Before we go there, however, Kwamina drops me at the university. There is a program about the constitution to report on. I wonder how he will manage to leave, bring the boys somewhere else and come back to pick me to be at the radio station in time. I don’t dare to say that I am not interested in this story and would rather avoid the hassle. At least the program starts almost as planned. Nevertheless, the introductions, opening prayer and welcome address take a lot of time. As it becomes clear that I will miss the main part, I swap from taking notes, which is difficult anyway, to taking pictures. Maybe Kwamina will get the speeches somehow as he usually does. I know when the radio program is supposed to start and watch the time. As expected, Kwamina is late. This time, for the radio program, we can’t be late. It is not possible. I am getting nervous and don’t even really listen to the presenters. When he arrives after all, I hurry to pick my things and we rush to the station. We are still in time, it is a miracle. Without a moment to prepare, we are on air. Fortunately, Kwamina plays some music first and talks about the upcoming Bakatue festival in Elmina. Time to breath. Then he questions Felix and me about our time in Ghana, about our experience with the media. This time, I talk a lot more than during the first radio program we did. It is easy. People call to ask questions directly. One guy calls three times. ‘What will you take home with you from this experience?‘ - ‘Patience.‘ Kwamina told us about this particular question and Felix and I had time to agree on our answers during a short song. A good program, a good goodbye to Central Press. 
After the program, Kwamina wants to bring me back to the discussion about the constitution at the university. I am lucky. They have already finished. We decide that it is not interesting enough for a story. My last act was the radio program.