Monday, August 29, 2011

Basketball and shopping


Saturday, May 28. I have no travel plans for the weekend. Michelle, a British volunteer, told me about a basketball match that she has been invited to by a lady she met in town. The lady sits in a wheelchair and is playing herself. Apparently, there is a basketball group for the disabled in Cape Coast. I am impressed, surprised and decide to find out more about this group. Saturday morning, I set off to Victoria Park, where I meet Michelle who introduces me to Joyce. She is breastfeeding one of her children and introduces both of us to her husband, who is also one of the players. Beside the pitch, a canopy has been put up. There, Michelle and I meet the brother of Michelle’s host father who turns out to be one of the organizers of the group and trainer. Cape Coast is a small town. He explains to us, that this is not only a match. They are waiting for an MP who donated a special wheelchair and promises to support the group financially. The actual match is only going to take ten minutes or so. Michelle and I are a little bit disappointed, but I start considering to write an article about this for the newspaper and try to get the relevant contact numbers. The MP is late. We wait over an hour and Michelle decides to go. She is leaving in three days and has to organize a few other things this weekend. The players are getting restless now, too. They complain that the MP is delaying them. While we are waiting, I have a conversation with this trainer and later with a young plantain seller. Apparently she met Michelle before, is now requesting after her and therefore doesn’t give up the talking. She gives me a crumpled piece of paper that has a couple of names on it and asks for a small donation. ‘Michelle also gave me something.’ I can’t find her name on the short list. ‘She said she will write her name later.’ After another thirty minutes, the big car with the honorable guest finally drives up and the program is started. Unfortunately, it is all in Fanti and I can’t follow the speeches that are given. Nevertheless, I take the usual pictures. There are some other press people as well. As soon as I mention Kwamina’s name, they let me do my thing. The actual match between the disabled teams really doesn’t take more than ten minutes, if that. I promise Joyce to pass by another day when they have training. 
Now it is time for me to meet Catherine. She offered to go shopping for souvenirs with me. We meet at the mosque in town and then stroll down the street. Catherine wants to help me bargain, but in fact doesn’t reduce the prices very much. I would like to cut them down even more, but can’t as she takes over the talking. I know that she only means to be helpful. It is not easy to shop with her. I stand in front of a stall with patchwork bags. They are very nice and I look at some, compare them to decide which one I like best. As soon as I take one in my hand, she asks whether I am going to buy it. ‘I don’t know. I have to think and then decide.‘ - ‘She is a good selector. She is very calm. Nice girl.‘ My friend praises me in front of the seller who readily agrees. ‘Which one is nicer?‘ - ‘They are both very nice.‘ Of course, everything I choose is considered to be a good choice. ‘Are you going to buy it?‘ I don’t know. I just want to look at it. I feel pressured. I need something for a friend but I don’t know what he would like. Catherine presents trousers to me, shirts, shoes. I don’t want to give him clothes for they might not fit, I try to explain to her. I feel bad for turning down her suggestions but don’t want to spend money for something I don’t need just to please her. ‘You are smart. I am observing and learning from you, you know.‘ The last stop is Elijah’s shop. I want to find a drum for my little brother. Elijah is not there, but two other boys. We sit and chat as I negotiate with one of them. It is refreshing. They engage Catherine in a conversation in English and make fun. She turns away and maybe is a little bit confused but also laughs with them and enjoys herself. It is a good end to our shopping tour.
Back at the house, I have Fufu. Since I am the only volunteer, it is the usual dish on Saturdays. Today, we all sit on the balcony and eat together. Although of course the conversation is completely in Fanti, it is a nice situation. We never ate all together, Agnes, Ruth, Sofia and me. The baby is also there and after the food, I am allowed to hold her while Sofia finishes her portion. Family life can be so nice.