Monday, August 29, 2011

Football fans


Finals of the UEFA Champions League. Barcelona versus Manchester United. Many Ghanaians support one of these teams and therefore, the excitement is great. When I ask Eric whether he wants to go out tonight, he suggests to come together for the match. Of course I didn’t know about this match at all. We meet at the Goil station where they put up a big screen as they did for the match between Ghana and England. The place is crowded, we meet more volunteers and squeeze our way behind them. George is here, a broad-shouldered, tall guy who lives with one of the host families. He was with us in Busua the other weekend and accompanied the girls from his house to the spot. He says he doesn’t support any of the teams, so we are in the same boat. I don’t care who will win this match, I am here for the atmosphere. Our view to the screen is not too bad, but the way we stand crammed together is not very comfortable. I am glad I didn’t come in time so I don’t have to wait through the whole 90 minutes. It is a good match, though. I begin to become interested in football. I can’t hear a commentator, but again, the crowd’s shouts and cheering are enough or even better than that. With each score, one half of the spectators jumps in the air and the fans hug each other. Two minutes before the final whistle, the power goes off. The screen is black. The spectators take it as the end of the match. Barcelona wins, 3:1 versus Manchester United. Shouting, hurrah. Fan shirts being waved through the air. It takes some time before the place gets quieter again. 
Sir Anthony asked me to join him to watch a football match in the stadium. I agreed if we take the three medium boys from New Life with us, Anthony, Bright and Nelson. Sir Anthony accepts and it is my job now to get the permission from Sir James. In the end he allows me to go out with Bright and Anthony. Nelson has a broken foot. 
It is Sunday morning when my phone rings. It is Sir Anthony. ‘I am on my way to Mankessim.’ - ‘What about the match? We are meeting at 2 pm.’ Well, he doesn’t know if he will make it. He will call again. Now I have a serious problem. Sir James will never allow me to take the boys on my own. I tell him I will be at New Life at 2 pm to get the boys. I organized a taxi. Frank, the taxi driver, remembered me and agrees to pick us up and also bring us back after the match. That is settled. ‘May I know who you are going with?’ Apparently, Sir Anthony told Sir James about Mankessim as well. I am desperate. I can’t cancel this, I created a mess already. Who can I take with us? Abdul? I think I wake him up with my call. He sounds very sleepy but says that I can call him when I am at the stadium and he will come. I know that Sir James knows Abdul, but I am not satisfied and fear that Sir James won’t be satisfied with this solution either. One last idea. I text Eric. He is happy to help, of course. Totally shattered, but relieved I set off to New Life in time. When I arrive, I wonder whether the boys know about the trip at all. Sir James is in his room. He doesn’t show up and I don’t dare to knock. They do. With beaming faces Anthony and Bright come running into the house to dress up. Shirts and trousers have to be ironed, shoes polished. I should have known that they won’t be ready. Come on, hurry, I don’t want more to go wrong. The boys must be the only ones who know about the trip. Emmanuella tries to get some information out of me, but if Sir James didn’t inform anybody else, she won’t make me give something away. Nelson’s expression is worse than gloomy. He doesn’t even talk to me, just watches as his friends are getting ready. Frank arrives, absolutely in time. Now I have to tell Sir James we are leaving. He just gives his okay through the closed door. ‘I’ll bring them back safely.’ I hope. The boys want to eat, but we are late so Ellen gives them their lunch as a take-away. They are excited and so am I. My phone drives me mad now, it is turning off constantly for no reason. We have to pick up Eric on the way and we are late. I want to tell him we are coming. Frank is calmness personified and I am very grateful for that. I apologize for ruining his Sunday. I don’t need to worry, Eric is waiting exactly as agreed. Now everything is fine. We are dropped in front of the stadium, queue up and are slowly pushed through the entrance door. The boys are quiet, suddenly they are shy even when we try to make them talk. I hope they are so quiet because they are so impressed or overwhelmed. The stadium is full. The teams are popular and the spectators respond wholeheartedly. Standing ovations, arms in the air. At half-time, I get us something to drink. We take the absolutely necessary group picture and my mood is slightly affected by Anthony’s and Bright’s tense smiles. I try to get Anthony to tell us one of his stories what he usually likes, but his fantasy seems to be asleep today. Bright at least answers my questions about the match with the air of expertise. When the match is over, we wait for the main part of the crowd to pass until we make our way out of the stadium. Now Anthony expresses a bit of opinion. They want something particular to eat and get it. Frank is already waiting outside and together we head back to New Life. The boys are still quiet, but Eric makes them express thanks. I just hope they enjoyed the trip. As soon as we arrive at New Life, they disappear from the car. Eric and I settle everything with Frank. He was the best for this job. To Eric, too, I am deeply indebted now. I ruined his Sunday. He is always there for the volunteers. Even in the taxi, a French volunteer calls and Eric reassures him with an immense patience. For perhaps the tenth time, the guy wants to know when a new volunteer is going to come to his house because he is really afraid of staying alone. Eric dismisses my worries, saying that he enjoyed the day. Even though nothing really worked out as expected and I would not repeat this trip without more planning, I am glad we did it.