Monday, August 29, 2011

Farewell


Friday, July 1. Kwamina sends me a message about a program somewhere. This time, I refuse. Thursday was my last day and it was a good day. Now I have to get some other things done with. The week before he said, there will be no work during the last week. In fact, we had something to do every day. Now I am really finished. 
I want to meet Catherine to say goodbye. She offered to come to Accra with me, but I prefer to say goodbye to her here. Now she couldn’t come anyway. She is sick. It is a sad farewell. Catherine is not feeling well and I can’t help her. She cries and I can’t comfort her. I don’t stay long.
After lunch, I go to New Life. One last time. I wanted to come before vacation starts to see the teachers, but because of work, I didn’t make it the whole week. Ellen said, she heard me on the radio. The nurse that comes to New Life once a week recognized my voice and made Ellen listen through the phone. It is funny someone who actually knows me, listened to the program. Apart from me, no other volunteer is there. Rasmus leaves when I arrive. I wouldn’t know the new volunteers here anyway. Anthony wants me to organize another dancing competition. I couldn’t refuse so I brought the music and now wait for Anthony. He said he would come. Of course, he is late and we decide to start the competition after dinner. I spend the time carrying water. One last time. It is a little bit sad. Finally it is time for the competition. Anthony takes care of the music, James does the rest. The motto is ‘Crazy dance‘ and the kids are really dancing crazily. I just watch, usually with one of them on my lap. I dance only little. I feel tired, but it would be wrong to make them stop and go home. Only when the kids get tired as well, I tell Anthony that it is enough. James also wants to go. He is going to town. The three of us leave together. It is a strange feeling. A final goodbye. Ellen gives me a hug and some of the girls as well. Some of the old boys accompany us to the taxi. Isaac, Nicolas, Frank and small Nelson. He takes my hand while we walk along the road. I am touched. Goodbye New Life.   
Saturday evening, I go to Oasis with Bryn. There is one last drumming and dancing performance to watch. It is a good end to my time in Cape Coast. After the show, Benjamin joins Bryn and me. He is dumb and deaf, but a dancer. How can a deaf person dance to drums? Apparently, it works. Maybe they feel the rhythm somehow. We communicate with our phones and he shows us pictures of himself. He is a nice guy and I agree to come to a church the following morning, where he will perform. I am curious. 
Sunday morning, I get up early to meet Benjamin for church. I am gone even before breakfast, but Benjamin is not there. I am almost thinking about leaving when he comes with another guy to show me the way to the church. Actually, he is not going to perform himself. A group he is training is going to perform and they are drumming, not dancing. The service starts late. Unfortunately, just when they are starting with the drumming, I have to go.
I hurry home where I get my lunch, take a shower and pack the last things together. Bryn comes back from her castle tour. Just in time. Together, we wait for Abdul. He offered me to take me to Accra a long time ago. I reminded him of it and he agreed. Unfortunately he got sick and told me that he can’t drive. Instead, he organized a friend to take me with his car. Another volunteer who is also leaving today is also coming with us. Abdul is very relaxed. I just hope, he will be in time. He is only a bit late. I say goodbye to Agnes, Ruth and Sofia. ‘Oh, I will miss you.’ Agnes presses me against her chest warmly.  My time in Ghana is over. I am so glad that Abdul comes along. It feels better to go with somebody I know. We pick up Miriam, the other volunteer and head off to Accra. Miriam soon falls asleep. I talk a little bit with Abdul and then just listen to him and his friend as they are talking in a mixture of English and Fanti. It is raining. That makes the farewell easier. However, I am not too sad. There are things I am going to miss, but I feel that it is time to go. The boys drop us at the airport. Abdul winks and is gone. We have already left Ghana. After the security checks, we are already far away. It is not Ghana anymore. I write some last text messages to say goodbye and board the plane.