Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Take me to Germany

While I am sitting in the pavilion, the girls come back from school. They bring some friends who fetch water and wash their clothes. One of them tells me she is an orphan living in the school and the water pipes there are blocked. She says she likes my sandals, my shirt, the colour of my skin, my hair. All students have to cut their hair. That‘s the law. She asks about fish-net stockings, what we apply on our skin, about candies and boyfriends. To leave Ghana and come to Europe seems to be the ultimate dream. When I walk through the streets, people ask me where I come from. When they hear I am from Germany, men propose to me. ,You are beautiful. Marry me.‘ or ,I am looking for a German woman to marry.‘ I wonder what they would do if I said yes. 
I am waiting with Baba next to some women selling oranges. One gives me her baby to hold. After a while she says: „Take her with you to your country.“ They really think I can do that. It is difficult to explain that Germany is not Paradise.