Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cape Coast

I get up early again as I don‘t want to miss anything. After some calls, I can arrange for someone to bring my bag and as soon as it arrives, I am on my way to Cape Coast. Paul, a Projects Abroad staff, accompanies me. A taxi brings us to a bus station where we get into a Trotro and wait for it to fill with passengers and leave. Traffic is bad. There are so many cars. It takes us a long time until we are out of the town. The landscape here is much more green than in the North. We pass ponds and now and then I see the ocean. After about three hours we arrive in Cape Coast. We take a taxi again but I don‘t know where we are heading. On our way we meet Eric and Paul leaves. Eric brings me to a house where I leave my luggage. It is only later that I understand that this is where I am going to stay for the next four months. I am on the road again, the induction starts. Eric explains how to take a taxi, how much to pay and where the important places are. I try to follow and remember. We stop at stalls, have a chat here and there. Eric seems to know every second person we pass. The market is busy, I smell exotic spices and see colourful fabric. „Walk close to the gutter, but don‘t fall into the gutter.“ No, I don‘t want to end up down there. But I don‘t want to be knocked out by taxis either. Then we see Cape Coast Castle and have lunch at a place nearby with a great view on the sea. 
Back „home“ I meet the other volunteers who are staying at Agnes‘ house, Melanie and Anwen. Together we go out to meet more volunteers and have dinner. Almost everyone orders pizza