Monday, March 14, 2011

Obroni

I am not Siliminga here. Now it is Obroni and there are lots of us. We are followed by shouts of Obroni! everywhere. The children on the streets are used to us and more straightforward. It often goes like this: ,Obroni, what is your name? Please, give me money. Give me fifty pesewas.‘ They are not shy at all. They just run towards you, take your hand, pull your arms, even hug you or sit on your lap. It is hard to make them go. Some are cute but often I think that they exactly know what to do to get what they want. They smile, ask for my name, age and where I come from and then want me to buy them something. 
Adults call us Obroni like the children. They can be very persistent when they ask for your number. I walk along a street and meet some boys coming back from school. One approaches me. ,What is your name? Can I have your number so that we can do some research together?‘ - No. - ,But then how can I contact you?‘ I sit in a taxi. The taxi driver asks me: Obroni, what is your name? - My name is Lisa. - Lisa, I want to marry you. I love you so much.
Exceptions are very refreshing. I sit in a taxi and the driver starts a conversation. Surprisingly, he asks, what I do. He is impressed when I explain that I am not paid but actually pay to work in Ghana. He thanks me - ,God bless you.‘ - and we talk more, about streets and driving in Ghana and Germany, about the economic situations. Some days later, I meet him again. I am glad to see him and even remember his name, Frank, what surprises him. He brings me to the orphanage again and we continue our conversation. To declare our friendship, he charges me less.
It is said that Ghana is one of Africa‘s friendliest countries. Sometimes I feel that Ghanaians are friendly to us Obronis because they see an opportunity in us, to get whatever. Especially where people are beginning to establish tourism every Obroni appears to be seen as a walking cash machine. We are always charged more than Ghanaians. Then again I meet genuinely nice persons who welcome me friendly and help if needed just like that. Pity that I don‘t know better until afterwards.