Sunday, May 29, 2011

An ordinary Monday

Kwamina wants us to conduct an interview with the Regional Director of Trade and Industry for our front page story. We are one hour late, but the minister is not there anyway. We wait for maybe another hour and then leave for an NPP event. It is about a football stadium that is to be constructed. The NDC, the leading party, claims that the former government with the NPP did not have a contract to build the stadium. That is why they can’t continue with it. Something like this. It is about money, about fighting the opposition, about politics. At this event, the NPP verifies that there is a contract. We only hear the last five minutes, though, because we are late. Kwamina disappears for an interview with somebody, to get a copy of the speech that was given and returns with a copy of the contract and a man who we take with us in the car. The next event we are visiting to report on is the inauguration of a Unit Committee in a rural district. They are talking in Fantse, but  nevertheless I listen to the speech. As some English words are used, I can somehow guess what they are talking about. I also take a lot of pictures. It still feels a little bit strange to walk up in front of the row of chiefs while they are listening to the speech, holding the camera to their faces to take the portraits Kwamina wants. I feel like I should ask for their permission, say something, nod and smile at them. But I am press now. The men are dressed in layers of cloth, somehow casually draped around them. They wear big rings, watches and golden bracelets. It looks out of place when one of the chiefs receives a call on his mobile phone. The unit committee members form a line in front of the stage and are officially sworn in. I wonder how many of them really understand, what they are reading from a paper or whether they are just repeating what the former member reads out to them. Hands are shaken, then the chief comes with his entourage for a second round. A libation is poured by a priest and the chief himself gives a short speech. The event is over when the crowd disperses and we set off in the car. Kwamina wants to do an interview with somebody, but this person is busy. Felix and I are told to wait in the car and take bananas and groundnuts for lunch. A good lunch, although I wonder who came up with this combination. When Kwamina returns, he obviously got what he wanted and brings us home. 
I have to write a report of this inauguration, but keep it for later in the evening. Instead, I sit on the balcony with my host family and the little girl. A rather rare moment. Sofia ties the baby to my back. I move only slowly as I am not used to it and am a little bit afraid of dropping her but it feels nice. I wonder why we don’t carry our babies like that. It is very practical.