Monday, May 16, 2011

First day with Central Press

Again, my first workday. I meet Eric to see how to get to work, but in fact he hands me over to Kwamina Bamfo, the editor, in a taxi. We go directly to my first assignment, without time for an introduction. I don’t know what this building is, who the people are that I am greeting, what this assembly is about, but I am told to sit down in the back and take notes. Fortunately, the presenters speak in English so I figure out that I am witnessing the launch of the “Rural Water and Sanitation Project”. I take as many notes as possible, not knowing what I am supposed to write afterwards. Kwamina disappears now and then, bringing back the presenters’ speeches. A woman is presenting risks of projects like this, when Kwamina asks me whether I heard enough and we leave. I don’t mind, because this woman speaks mainly in Fanti and I don’t understand her. Kwamina says his car is being repaired at the moment so we walk to the office. I am not sure, where we are. The office is in a building that is only finished on the front side. In fact, the office are two tables in an internet cafe. Later I find out, that we work together with the owner of this internet cafe. He does the layout for the newspaper. Kwamina gives me some editions of the newspaper to read and leaves, telling me that he is coming. Central Press started in January 2010 and consists mainly of Kwamina and the volunteers. At the moment we are three volunteers, but Frances is about to leave so it is left with Felix and me. This is going to be a lot of work and it is going to be more serious than at the orphanage. However, I am curious. After what seemed like ages - I read the papers and the entries on blogspot - Kwamina comes back to bring me home. His car is fixed and he explains that he always picks up the volunteers and brings us back. For tomorrow, I have to write the story about the sanitation project, my very first article for Central Press.