Sunday, April 3, 2011

Free Friday

I slept in the orphanage, so I come back in the morning and have the whole day to myself. First, I visit a patient with Anwen. Francis is an old man who got hit by a bike years ago. His hip is dislocated and Anwen does some exercises with him and massages the hip. As she is about to leave Ghana, I offered to take her place but when we meet Francis at his house, his wife tells us he is going to his home village. Francis does not feel well recently. Her answer to our question when he will be back is very vague. I don‘t have the impression they plan for him to come back. They give Anwen a dress as a thank you present. To be true I am glad I am not likely to do Anwen‘s job.
Next, I follow Anwen to the hospital where she was working. It looks nice from the outside and also the physio department is very neat. I can‘t see the wards I heard bad stories about but all doesn‘t look as bad as in the hospital in Tamale.
On our way back we pass by a seamstress Sofia and Agnes recommended. Her shop is right on our junction. Anwen wants her dress to be made fit for her and I want a dress similar to hers. Koko measures me. She doesn‘t talk much, not like the other seamstresses I met, but she tells us to come back soon. I often see her work late in the evening.
This evening, a Canadian girl is having a St Patrick‘s Day Party on her roof. When we get there, it is very quiet. There is music, but nobody is dancing, some are talking. I have a conversation with Annette about the people here in Ghana. It is a little bit sad.  Annette counts her last days in Ghana. Jessica tries to convince some guests to play a drinking game. Some are dancing now. I felt like dancing earlier but not anymore. Then on of the guys of the house asks me why I don‘t dance, so I join them and let the African songs move my body.