Saturday, February 26, 2011

First impressions

Accra from above: lights like little candles in a sea of dust. It‘s too dark to distinguish houses and streets. I leave the aircraft and welcome the thick warm air after seven hours in the plane. Across the field the passengers walk to a door labelled „Arrivals“ to enter a corridor. It seems they didn‘t take their Christmas decoration down yet for chains of lights twined around pillars are blinking in green, red and blue. Officers in green uniforms, some sleeping. I pass the immigration point without problems. Then men in dark trousers and white shirts. To take my luggage in my other hand I stop and immediately one of them approaches me and offers help. But I am being picked up. Tani takes one of my bags and indicates me to follow her. „Welcome in Ghana. You‘ll like it, it‘s not all bad.“ Outside of the building, she talks to more men in white shirts. I don‘t understand a word of what they are saying and then we get into a car. Where are we going? It is dark. We pass stalls, people are selling their goods or strolling along the road. First stop: Shell gas station. We pass two officers in dark uniforms. With a torch they look into our car but nothing is said and onwards we go. The road is getting worse. I see promising buildings with walls around them, but we are not there yet. Sometimes the car nearly comes to a halt but then it goes on. After a long while, the car stops in a courtyard in front of a small building. Someone takes my bags and I follow Tani in the house. Somebody is sleeping right behind the door. I am ushered in the next room and told to sleep on the big bed. Two boys are sleeping on the floor, Tani lies down beside them. There I am, on a big bed in a house somewhere in Accra, listening to the humming fan.